FAPA (Florida Authors & Publishers Association)
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Each year the Florida Authors and Publishers Association (FAPA) sponsors the FAPA President’s Book Awards, which recognizes book publishing excellence and creativity in design, content, and production for authors and publishers. This year we have opened the competition from North America only to the English speaking world. We hope to encourage entries from all who share our complex and wonderful language.
Finalists are chosen by publishing professionals and librarians from both within and outside of Florida, and are announced at the President’s Book Awards Banquet the first weekend of August.
Is this an important achievement?
" My first volume of poetry called "The Leaf Does Not Believe It Will Fall", won in 2019. My two novels, "Land Without Mirrors", and "Lisbeth" had each won Gold medals in 2013 and 2017 respectively. I always look forward to the FAPA competitions because the works are judged by fellow authors who know what it takes to create a work from thin air. "—Marina Brown, FAPA Multi-Year, multi-genre Winner
"... a juried book award lends a certain prestige and legitimacy to a title. Given a choice between a best-seller campaign and a book award, I'd choose the award any day!" —Tara Alemany, FAPA 2015 How to / Self-Help Winner for The Plan that Launched a Thousand Books
"Winning an award at FAPA is validation that I really am a writer! How special it is to stand in front of my peers, and leaders in the industry, and accept a medal for doing something that I love. —Dana Brown, 2019 Silver medals in Adult Romance and Cover Design for The Greysons.
" Since winning the award for my Civil War love story, I have noticed a significant increase in interest and have received a tremendous amount of recognition from my supporters and fans. Sales are important but formal recognition from FAPA, that my first novel impressed industry experts and fellow authors, is the biggest thrill of my writing career." —Mark Barie, 2019 Historical Fiction for War Calls, Love Cries
Acceptable publishing dates for books submitted for the President’s Book Awards will be books with a copyright date from 2018 to 2020.
- Books/eBooks must have a valid ISBN and include the year published within the book. eBooks may have an ASIN in lieu of ISBN
- FAPA membership is not required for entry, although FAPA members receive a $20 discount. Join FAPA at https://myfapa.org/join-fapa/
- Previous award-winning titles of FAPA President’s Book Awards may not be re-entered
- FAPA board members are able to enter books in the awards competition.
- eBooks should be submitted in PDF format.
- EARLY BIRD SPECIAL! Entries received before midnight January 15, will qualify for a $20 discount.
- All entries in each category will be considered by three judges.
- Librarians, book industry professionals, and educators from Florida and multiple other states will judge content, theme, layout, and cover design elements.
- Books are submitted digitally. At the time of your submission, you will need a complete PDF file of your book to be uploaded and a high-quality JPG digital image of your cover consistent with industry specifications. Paper submissions will not be judged or returned.