They say you can't judge a book by its cover. That's just not realistic. People pick up, handle, turn over, and read the back cover material. The cover is an integral part of the book's marketability and success. We, at least, will be judging your cover. This is a separate category from the content entry that will be judging the book's literary aspects. You will need to make a separate entry here with more exacting criteria for the graphics submitted. Please read carefully below.
GUIDELINES: Acceptable publishing dates for books submitted for the President’s Book Awards will be books with a copyright date from 2019 to 2021.
- Books/eBooks must have a valid ISBN and include the year published within the book. eBooks may have an ASIN in lieu of ISBN
- FAPA membership is not required for entry, although FAPA members receive a $20 discount off the standard rate at the end of the Early Bird period that expires on January 15. Join FAPA at https://myfapa.org/join-fapa/
- Previous award-winning titles of FAPA President’s Book Awards may not be re-entered. Award-winning titles that did not compete in the cover category in previous years may enter the appropriate cover design category.
- FAPA board members are able to enter books in the awards competition.
- All entries will be considered by three judges.
- Graphic artists noted in the field and past award-winning designers will be judging the Book Cover Categories.
- Cover submissions will require a minimum 300dpi or higher JPG or PDF digital image of your cover consistent with the industry. You will need to submit the full spread to include back cover, spine, and front cover. Hardcovers should include jacket flap material. You may submit the final printer's proof if you do not have a separate trimmed file available.
- Physical submissions of books will not be judged or returned.